Investigation launched after inmate dies, parents say he felt sick for days

The Flagler County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after jail inmate was rushed to the hospital, where he later died. The man’s parents claim he had been feeling sick for days.

Records show that Anthony Fennick was booked into the Flagler County jail in late December. The 23-year-old, who family members say struggled with addiction, had violated probation.

His parents, Erika and Daniel Williams, say he called home twice a day, everyday while he was behind bars.

“He goes, ‘I’ve had a fever. I’ve been shivering and everything and I don’t know why,’” Erika Williams recalled about one call. “He told me he got ibuprofen.”

The family says for five days, Fennick told them that he felt very sick, and things were getting worse.

Fennick’s dad says Monday afternoon, he asked them to call the jail to see if he could get more help.

By Monday night, jail officials say Fennick was rushed from the jail to the hospital. His mom says she was notified the next day, and by the time she got there, her son was brain dead.

“This how I found my son,” said while showing a photo of her son in a hospital bed. “That’s how I found my son!”

She says she later found out he had a seizure at the hospital and his heart stopped. What caused all of this is still a mystery.

“Sheriff Staly has directed a criminal investigation to be followed internal investigation,” said Flagler County Sheriff’s Office Chief Mark Strobridge. “There was a potential failure in protecting him so we need to find out where that failure may or may not have occurred as part of this process.”

A young father is dead. His family is in mourning and demanding answers.

“I am going to do everything in my power to prevent another person to go through the agony and pain and loneliness that my son went through,” Williams said.

The Flagler County Sheriff’s Office says medical care is available at the jail 24-7 through a company hired by the county. Investigators have not released any information regarding what kind of medical attention Fennick received while he was still in custody.