Chicken and Waffles Recipe
Chicken and Waffles
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Serves 8 to 12
2 chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
1 quart buttermilk
6 cloves garlic, smashed
? cup hot sauce, such as Texas Pete or Crystal
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
3 sprigs rosemary
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons coarse salt
4 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups corn or canola oil
1. Combine brine ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken. Submerge chicken in brine, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, up to 48 hours.
2. Sift together flour, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and cayenne. Place in a shallow pan for dredging chicken.
3. Heat oil to 350°F in a cast-iron pan and maintain temperature while fying all of the chicken.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Drain chicken in colander. Do not rinse.
6. Dredge one piece of chicken at a time in flour, shaking off excess.
7. Place chicken, skin side down, in pan and fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes each side for white meat and 5 minutes each side for dark meat. Internal temperature should be around 165°F.
8. Remove from pan and place on a cookie cooling rack over a sheet pan. Place chicken, rack, and pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until skin is crispy.
Tip: Despite all you've read, resist the urge to double dredge unless you want to taste more crust than chicken.
As a general rule, you can't have enough pepper in fried chicken. Don't be afraid of giving the seasoned flour an extra shake or two.