Saudi sisters found dead stayed at luxury hotels, maxed out credit cards

The NYPD is continuing to investigate the mysterious deaths of two Saudi Arabian sisters whose bound bodies washed up in New York City last week after arriving from Fairfax, Virginia, on Sept. 1.

Police say credit card records show Tala Farea, 16, and Rotana Farea, 23, first stopped in Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia before ending up in Manhattan for the final days of their lives.

The sisters maxed out a credit card ordering food and staying at a number of luxury hotels along with shopping at various locations during their time in New York City.

They were also seen several times on security cameras in apparently good health, police said during a news conference on Friday afternoon.

The sisters were reported missing in Fairfax on Sept. 12. Their bodies were discovered Oct. 24 on the Manhattan waterfront. Their bodies were loosely bound together with duct tape. Police say it appears they were taped so their bodies would remain together.

Investigators say the pair was seen praying together in a park the morning their bodies were found in the water.

Police say there were no signs of trauma and it appeared that they were alive when they went into the Hudson River. The NYPD disputed reports that the pair had gone into the river from the George Washington Bridge saying their bodies showed no signs of impact from a long drop.

The NYPD continues to investigate but did not have any evidence that pointed to a crime being committed, indicating that the pair may have committed suicide. They were awaiting a confirmation on the exact cause of death.

Investigators are looking into reports the pair was allegedly physically abused in the past by family members.  Police said they believe the sisters had sought political asylum in the United States but had not contacted the State Department to get further information.

They were also asking the public to contact Crime Stoppers if they had seen the pair or might have any additional information in the case.

With the Associated Press