WARNING: Do not plug space heaters into power strips, fire officials say
ORLANDO, Fla. (FOX 35 WOFL) - From time to time, we get cold fronts in Florida and the need to stay toasty and warm arises. Just keep in mind though, if you use a space heater, fire officials are warning you to not plug it into an extension cord or a powerstrip.
Doing so is a major fire hazard, according to fire authorities.
According to fire officials, these devices are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat, and even catch fire.
Heating elements inside a space heater can reportedly get up to more than 500°F to 600°F. Residents should plug their space heaters directly into the wall, and always keep an eye on it when it's in use.