LAKE MARY, Fla. - Officials at schools, colleges, and universities in Florida and the Orlando metro area assessing any damage caused by Hurricane Ian. Here is a county-by-county list of school announcements regarding the storm that have been made so far regarding reopening:
- Alachua County Public Schools plans to reopen schools on Mon, Oct. 3 if they are functional & safe for students and staff.
- The University of Florida will resume normal operations and classes on Saturday, Oct. 1. Visit https://ufl.edu for more information. Faculty have been asked to remain flexible with students who have been impacted by Hurricane Ian. Students who have family in hard-hit areas are encouraged to immediately contact their instructors.
- Brevard Public Schools will reopen on Saturday morning, Oct. 1, for scheduled weekend activities. Students and staff will return to school on Monday, Oct. 3.
- Following a damage assessment at all our school sites, Flagler Schools Superintendent Cathy Mittlestadt announces that classes for all students will resume at their regular time Monday, October 3rd."We know many families are still dealing with the effects of Tropical Storm Ian," said Mittelstadt. "We also have several of our employees who live in neighboring counties still trying to recover These are all things we take into account when we decide to reopen our schools."
- Lake County Schools says all schools will resume normal operation on Monday, Oct. 3.
- Marion County Public Schools said all schools, departments, and district offices reopen Monday, Oct. 3, on normal operating schedules.
- Orange County Public Schools plan to reopen all schools on Tuesday, October 4.
- Full Sail University says its facilities crew is working to prepare the campus for a return to full operations on Saturday, October 1 at 9:00 a.m. At that time, all classes will resume, and on-campus faculty and staff may return to the campus as necessary. "If you are a student who is unable to attend classes or complete assignments, whether here in Florida or in other affected areas in the southeast, please stay safe and remain in close touch with your instructors," the school said. "They will work with you to extend deadlines and provide accommodations as needed."
- Rollins College says it is undertaking a campus damage assessment and is asking that students and staff stay off campus and avoid parking on campus. The campus remains closed through the weekend but faculty and staff should plan to return to campus on Monday, the college said in a tweet.
- Valencia College plans to reopen on Monday, Oct. 3.
- Osceola County Public Schools will remain closed on Monday, Oct. 3, to ensure safe learning environments for students. Schools will reopen on Tuesday, Oct 4. Make-up days will be determined if required by the state.
- Seminole State College campuses will resume operations on Mon. Oct. 3 with all classes, including online, back in session.
- University of Central Florida will reopen on Tuesday, October 4.
- Sumter County Schools will reopen on Monday, Oct. 3.
- Volusia County Schools said Saturday that schools are scheduled to reopen on Wednesday, October 5.
- Bethune-Cookman University said its campus will remain closed until the school can fully assess any damage from Hurricane Ian.
Stetson University expects students to return to campus on Monday, October 3.