Baby abduction suspect also arrested in July kidnapping

Image 1 of 3

A Dallas woman arrested in the killing of a Kansas mother and the kidnapping of the victim's newborn daughter was also accused in a kidnapping in July.

The Wichita Eagle reports that Adriana Portillo says Yesenia Sesmas lured her and her children into a basement, and that Sesmas took away her cellphone and ordered her to restrain her 10- and 3-year-old daughters with duct tape. The 10-year-old managed to snatch back the phone and call police as the two women fought.

Records show Sesmas was then booked into jail on several charges, including kidnapping. The Sedgwick County District Attorney's office says Sesmas bonded out, but wouldn't comment on why no charges were filed.

Sesmas was arrested Saturday in the death of 27-year-old Laura Abarca-Nogueda and the kidnapping of her 6-day-old daughter Sophia. Investigators believe she faked a pregnancy and returned to Dallas with the baby to pass her off as her own.

Police found Sesmas in a house in Oak Cliff. She was inside with her boyfriend, son and niece. Baby Sofia was also inside and unharmed. Police do not believe the others in the house knew of the crimes.

Sesmas told KUVN-TV that Abarca-Nogueda had agreed to turn over her newborn daughter to her but reneged on the agreement. In the interview in the Dallas County jail, the 34-year-old woman admitted that she killed Abarca-Nogueda in Wichita but said she didn't mean to.

Abarca-Nogueda's boyfriend found her body Thursday and a frantic search ensued for the missing 6-day-old baby, Sophia. She was found Saturday in Dallas and has been reunited with family members.

District Attorney Marc Bennett didn't specify the charges that have been filed against Yesenia Sesmas in Sedgwick County District Court.

Bennett said in a statement Tuesday that the complaint detailing the charges won't be made public until Sesmas makes her first appearance in court. No court date has been set. She is being held in Dallas.

Bennett says the state will notify authorities in Dallas of its intent to pursue extradition, a process that could take up to 90 days.