Space heater sparks house fire, 12-year-old alerts family

A 12-year-old boy is being credited with helping his family escape a house fire in Polk County.

Lakeland Fire officials say a space heater caused the fire on Thursday morning.

Officials say the heater was left running in the 12-year-old's bedroom, near flammable items, when the boy woke up in the middle of the night.

The family told firefighters they had no working smoke alarms.

Thankfully, fire officials say all three family members made it out of the home safely and rescued a few Christmas presents.