This week marks the return of Thursday Night Football on FOX. Tonight's game features two Super Bowl MVP's, Tom Brady and Nick Foles. To accompany this Tampa-Chicago matchup, Dr. BBQ -- a Chicago native and Tampa resident -- cooked up this combination of the cities' two most famous dishes: Cuban sandwiches and hot dogs, respectively.
Watch the video above for cooking tips and check out the recipe below.
- 4 pieces fresh Cuban bread, each about 6 inches long and split
- Yellow mustard
- Chicago-style bright green relish
- 4 hot dogs, spilt lengthwise
- 8 slices deli ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Vegetable oil
- Prepare the grill to cook over medium heat with a griddle and a skillet or sandwich press in place and pre-heated.
- Place the hot dogs on the griddle and cook them until warmed through and golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Brush the cut side of the bottom breads lightly with mustard. Spoon a little of the relish on each and spread it evenly. Lay two hot dog halves on top.
- Top each sandwich with two slices of ham and then two slices of cheese. Add the top buns.
- Drizzle a little oil on the griddle. Add the sandwiches and top them with the skillet or press. Push down to press the sandwiches. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Cut on a long bias and serve while warm.
Makes four servings.