911 call, police radio traffic released in Keith Lamont Scott shooting

Image 1 of 8

Body camera, dash camera footage and police radio traffic released by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police provide new insight into the deadly police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.

App users click here for embedded content.

"In the spirit of transparency, we are going to get everything we can deliver," Chief Kerr Putney said during a press conference Saturday.

Chief Putney said he is releasing what he sees as "indisputable evidence" that the facts that police started with "are the facts that remain."

In the body camera footage, armed officers can be seen surrounding the vehicle. The video shows at least three police officers dressed in civilian clothing, but wearing bullet proof vests that clearly identify them as police.

There is no audio for the first 25 seconds. The shots that are fired cannot be heard.

When audio begins, officers can be heard calling for handcuffs as Scott is on the ground. He can be heard moaning as officers try to treat him.

"Get some gloves, we need to hold the wound," one of the officers can be heard saying."

The video then ends.

Police Radio Traffic

Press conference with Scott Family Attorneys following release of the videos

The chief went on to say that the video shows no definitive visual evidence that Scott had a gun in his hand, however he said other evidence from the scene proves it.

"Officers are absolutely not being charged by me at this point, [Scott] was absolutely in possession of a handgun."

Dash Cam Footage

In the dash cam footage, gun shots can be heard. At least three officers can be seen, two white and one black, following the shots who appear to be attending to something or someone on the ground.

Police can be heard reporting in "shots fired." The video then ends.

The State Buruea of Investigation has given their assurance that the release of the videos will not impact their investigation, the chief said.

It's unclear from the footage whether Scott was in possession of a gun, however physical and DNA evidence released by police do indicate that Scott was armed.

Investigators said a lab analysis conducted of the gun recovered at the scene revealed the presence of Scott’s DNA and his fingerprints on the gun. Investigators also found that the gun Scott possessed was loaded at the time of the encounter with the officers.

Scott was wearing an ankle holster at the time of the event, police said.

Click Here: Photo evidence released by CMPD.

"There is no single piece of definitive evidence that proves all the complexities involved in this investigative process."

According to the chief, two plain clothes officers were sitting inside of their unmarked police vehicle preparing to serve an arrest warrant in the parking lot of The Village at College Downs, when a white SUV pulled in and parked beside of them.The officers observed the driver, later identified as Mr. Keith Lamont Scott, rolling what they believed to be a marijuana “blunt.”  Officers did not consider Mr. Scott’s drug activity to be a priority at the time and they resumed the warrant operation. A short time later, Officer Vinson observed Mr. Scott hold a gun up.

Due to the combination of illegal drugs and the gun Mr. Scott had in his possession, officers decided to take enforcement action for public safety concerns, according to police. Officers left the area to outfit themselves with marked duty vests and equipment that would clearly identify them as police officers, police said.

Upon returning, the officers told investigators that they again witnessed Mr. Scott in possession of a gun. The officers said they immediately identified themselves as police officers and gave clear, loud and repeated verbal commands to drop the gun. Scott refused to follow the officers repeated verbal commands. 

A uniformed officer in a marked patrol vehicle arrived to assist the officers.  According to investigators, the uniformed officer utilized his baton to attempt to breach the front passenger window in an effort to arrest Scott.

Police said Scott then exited the vehicle with the gun and backed away from the vehicle while continuing to ignore officers’ repeated loud verbal commands to drop the gun. Officer Vinson perceived Mr. Scott’s actions and movements as an imminent physical threat to himself and the other officers. Officer Vinson fired his issued service weapon, striking Mr. Scott.  Officers immediately rendered first aid and requested Medic to respond to the scene. 

Homicide Unit Detectives interviewed multiple independent civilian witnesses at the scene and at police headquarters.  According to investigators, those witnesses confirmed that officers gave numerous loud verbal commands for Mr. Scott to drop the weapon and also confirmed that at no time did Mr. Scott comply with their commands.

Governor Pat McCrory issued the following statement on the release of the Charlotte police video:

"As governor of North Carolina, I concur with the Charlotte police chief's decision to release the tapes. I have been assured by the State Bureau of Investigation that the release will have no material impact on the independent investigation since most of the known witnesses have been interviewed. We have appreciated the ongoing dialogue and team work between state and city officials to seek public transparency while protecting the integrity of the investigation and the rights of all parties involved in this case."

The family of Keith Scott, their attorney's and hundreds of protesters taking the streets of Charlotte have called upon the police department to release the dash cam video of the shooting.

On Friday, cell phone video was released of the deadly encounter involving police and Scott.

The video was reportedly recorded by the wife of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott The 2 1/2 minute video does not show the shooting, though gunshots can be heard. Before gunfire erupts, police repeatedly tell Scott to drop a gun.

His wife tells officers at the scene repeatedly that he doesn't have a gun and that he has a traumatic brain injury. At one point, she tells him to get out of the car so that police don't break the windows. As the encounter escalates, she tells them repeatedly: "You better not shoot him."

 After the gunshots are heard, Scott can be seen laying on the ground while his wife says "he better live."

Statement from Scott family attorney Charles G. Monnett: 

"Today's decision to release cellphone video of the moments before Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed was made by the Scott family in the name of truth and transparency.

The family is still hopeful that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and city of Charlotte will release all available video of the incident to the public so that people can draw their own conclusions about Keith's death. 

We encourage everyone to reserve judgment until all the facts are known.  This is simply one step in our quest to find the truth for this family. 

We thank those in the community who have supported the Scott family during this difficult time, and we again ask for peace in Charlotte as we continue to learn more about the tragic events that unfolded September 20."

Statement by Mayor Jennifer Roberts regarding today’s release to the public of body and dash cam videos:

I fully support the videos being released to the public. I have been calling for the release of the videos as soon as possible and now that the family has viewed it on Thursday afternoon and interviews with witnesses are complete, releasing it to the public is the right thing to do to ensure transparency and accountability.
I want the citizens of Charlotte to view the video to see the incident for themselves. Transparency and accountability are critical in this process.

The SBI continues to be in charge of the investigation. I have been in conversations with the US Attorney, and have asked the Department of Justice to be available to address any potential civil rights concerns.                                       

Watch released cell phone video below: 

Related: Charlotte Protests

Protesters gathered Tuesday night after Scott was shot and killed by police at a northeast Charlotte apartment complex.

The shooting happened at The Village at College Downs apartment complex in the 9600 block of Concord Road.

According to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police, officers were searching for a suspect with an outstanding warrant when they came across a man inside a vehicle at the apartment complex. They said the man had a gun and threatened the officers.

"He is armed, with a handgun that we found on scene as well, makes some imminent threat to them and because of that, at least one of our officers fired rounds at the subject,” according to CMPD officers during a press conference.

Scott was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with life-threatening injuries where he later passed away.

Family members, however paint a different picture. They tell FOX 46 Charlotte that the man was disabled and reading a book in the vehicle while waiting to pick up a child from the school bus.

Detectives said they were able to recover the gun the individual was holding at the time of the shooting and were in the process of interviewing witnesses.

A large crowd of people took to the streets surrounding the apartment complex in protest of the shooting. At one point a group of protesters gathered in front of a CMPD cruiser as it was trying to leave the scene and refused to let the vehicle pass.

“A handgun was seized. I can also tell you we did not find a book,” Chief Putney said at a news conference hosted by city leaders. “Keith Lamont Scott exited his vehicle with a gun. Officers gave a loud, clear command to drop the weapon.”

Another deadly shooting occurred during the protests on Wednesday night between two civilians, according to city officials.

Justin Carr, 26, died at CMC Thursday night, CMPD Chief Putney confirmed. Rayquan Borum was charged with shooting and killing Justin Carr during the Wednesday night protests.

Risk Assessment examined property damage around the city over the last few days due to recent events and compiled the following:

• NASCAR Hall of Fame – Large exterior pane of glass and 1 exterior pane by Glory Road
• CRVA Safety and Security – 9 panes of glass and 1 glass cover damaged
• Stonewall Station light rail – glass panels broken, but structurally intact
• CTC bus shelter – broken panels and shattered glass panel, but structurally intact
• Spectrum Center (previously Time Warner Arena) - 4 glass panes were damaged
There have been a total of 58 arrests since.

The third night of protests in Charlotte were mostly peaceful.

Mayor Roberts issued an addendum to the State of Emergency Proclamation issued on Wednesday, September 21.

Beginning Friday, September 23, a curfew will be imposed from midnight to 6:00 a.m. each evening until the end of the State of Emergency.

A team of FOX 46 Charlotte reporters/photographers were in Uptown when the curfew was administered and said it was mostly quiet.

After midnight there were still hundreds of protesters marching the streets of Uptown, but it was peaceful, according to our reporters.

Protesters blocked both lanes of I-277 briefly, but CMPD officers in riot gear quickly arrived and secured the area.

The fourth night of Charlotte protests remained peaceful.

As of 12 a.m. Friday three patients were treated for minor injuries. There were no transports, according to Medic. 

Curfew was in effect for 12 a.m. and the protests wrapped up between 2-2:30 a.m.

A total of 58 people have been arrested, according to CMPD.

This is a developing news

The Associated Press contributed to this report.