2 men, twin boys die from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in house under construction

Two men and a set of 1-year-old twins were found dead Sunday morning from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in a house that was under construction in Dallas.

Dallas Fire-Rescue officials said the owner of the home made the tragic discovery after going to check on the house in the 1400 block of Owega Avenue around 9:30 a.m. 

No one answered the door when he arrived so he forced his way inside. He found all four victims in a back bedroom and called 911.

The two workers -- 32-year-old Wilmer Ordonez and 23-year-old Nestor Martinez -- had apparently stayed at the house overnight to stop anyone from vandalizing it while it was under construction. Martinez was also caring for his 1-year-old twin sons, Elijah and Josiah Martinez.

Firefighters picked up deadly readings of carbon monoxide levels inside the home. Investigators believe all four died from carbon monoxide poisoning because of a generator that was being used inside the house.

"They had a generator they usually sat outside. They used it to power phones and heating equipment they used inside after they got off work," said Jason Evans, a spokesman for DFR. "From what we've been told, there's a possibility someone attempted to steal that generator in the past or maybe even overnight. As a result, they took that generator inside the keep it safe. Unfortunately did so without realizing the consequences."

Police called the case a tragic accident, and no charges are expected to be filed.

They want to remind people not to use gas-powered generators indoors because the exhaust creates carbon monoxide which can build up to deadly levels inside enclosed spaces.