'Yo, bro. Wake up:' Video shows three people who overdosed on fentanyl at a Florida gas station

The Seminole County Sheriff's Office is warning the public of the dangers of fentanyl, by releasing a video in which they chronicled the overdose of three people who ingested the synthetic opioid late last summer.

In August, deputies were called to a gas station, where two men and a woman were found unresponsive.  Deputies said they shook and screamed at the subjects, trying to help them regain consciousness, but it became evident the victims had overdosed on some type of drug. 

After administering several doses of Narcan -- a nasal spray used to reverse an opioid overdose -- the three finally regained consciousness and were taken to a hospital for further medical treatment.

A deputy searched through their vehicle, donning a gas mask and gloves, for added protection.  Deputies said they found what was later confirmed to be a small bag of cocaine, laced with fentanyl. 

"Sometimes the drug users don't even know that their drugs have been mixed with this [fentanyl], and this had led to fatal overdoses at record numbers," said Seminole County Sheriff Dennis Lemma. "If it was not for the use of Narcan, our death numbers would be even higher than they are now."

Video detailing the incident was posted on the Seminole County Sheriff's Office Facebook page. 

In 2018, there were 10 homicides and 35 traffic fatalities in Seminole County. That same year, 82 people died from fatal drug overdoses.

 

Editor's Note: This story has been updated to correct the time frame during which the alleged fentanyl overdoses occured.