Police: DWI suspect bit off part of Denton police sergeant's ear

A Denton police sergeant is recovering after having part of his ear bitten off during a struggle with a DWI suspect.

Christopher Rogers, 45, has been charged with DWI, resisting arrest, assault on a public servant, and aggravated assault for the incident.

Police say this happened just after 11 p.m. on Friday after Rogers was pulled over while driving erratically in the 1500 block of I-35E.

Denton PD officers suspected Rogers of driving while intoxicated. Rogers was reportedly being uncooperative with officers, and refused to get out of his vehicle after being asked several times.

According to the arrest affidavit, officers noticed a small empty vodka bottle inside the vehicle.

After calling for backup, officers tried to get him out of his vehicle, but Rogers resisted, and police say he punched an officer in the face.

”When they tried to get him out of the vehicle, [officers] met resistance,” Denton PD officer Bryan Cose said.

After officers were able to get him to the ground, Rogers continued to resist, and then began biting a police sergeant.

“The driver of the vehicle punched one of the officers in the face. They were able to get him out, and onto the ground. At some point in that struggle, the suspect actually was able to get on top of the sergeant and bit off part of the top of the sergeant's ear," Cose said.

Sergeant Michael Rose had about an inch of his ear bitten off and had injuries to his head.

"The officer, quite frankly, his body will forever be different now that he's missing part of his ear. But it could've been a lot worse, especially where this traffic stop occurred on the side of the highway," Cose said.

Officers had to use a stun gun on Rogers multiple times before they were able to get him under control.

The affidavit says Rogers also kicked a paramedic as he was being transported to the hospital. 

Denton PD internal affairs is reviewing dash and body camera video from the incident to make sure department policies were followed.

”What started out as an ordinary traffic stop - in this case, the driver was intoxicated - ended up with serious injury of one of our officers,” Cose said.

Sergeant Rose will return to the department on "light duty" as he recovers.