Another arrest made in Orlando shooting that left 1 dead, 6 injured in Rosemont neighborhood: police

Orlando police have made a second arrest in connection to a shooting that left one person dead and six others injured on the night of Feb. 28. 

Wayne Anthony Grant Jr., 30, was arrested and charged with aggravated battery with a firearm in connection to the shooting, the Orlando Police Department said the day after the incident. On April 15, the Orlando Police Department announced the arrest of 40-year-old Shamika Rose Stubbs-Peterson. She was charged with burglary of an occupied conveyance with battery, false reports to law enforcement during a capital felony investigation, false information to law enforcement during an investigation and battery.  

Wayne Anthony Grant Jr. was arrested and charged with aggravated battery with a firearm in connection to a deadly shooting in Orlando that left one person dead and six others injured, according to the Orlando Police Department. (Photo: Orlando Police

At 11 p.m. on Feb. 28, officers with the Orlando Police Department responded to Ironwedge Drive and South Lake Orlando Parkway in the Rosemont community about several shots fired.

When they arrived, they found 21-year-old James Jerry Dawn Williams III dead and six others injured. The six victims are in stable condition and are expected to survive, police said at the time. 

Shamika Rose Stubbs-Peterson (Photo: Orlando Police Department)

The incident began with a confrontation between two parties that afternoon in the same area when officers were called about an alleged assault with weapons. 

A disagreement had reportedly occurred stemming from a car not being returned by the mutually agreed-upon date. Officers said they issued a trespass warning for one of the individuals involved in the disagreement. 


Detectives believe one of the parties are involved in the shooting incident that happened that Wednesday. 

FOX 35's Hannah Mackenzie spoke with one man who said he lives nearby and heard multiple gunshots earlier in the evening. The man asked not to be named.

It should be noted that Stubbs-Peterson was arrested two days before the shooting in Seminole County. Her son, Markeis D'Aundre Stubbs, was clocked going over 130 mph on Interstate 4 and eventually crashed into a parked semi-truck after losing control of his vehicle. He was eventually captured by Florida Highway Patrol troopers. He was charged with resisting officers without violence, driving without a valid license, hit and run involving injury, aggravated feeling from police with injury or damage, and reckless driving. 

During that investigation, Stubbs-Peterson arrived at the crash and said her "kid" was in the car and wanted information, according to Florida Highway Patrol. Troopers told her that nobody was severely injured and the crime scene was active and no more information was available. She was asked to leave, but she allegedly became verbally abusive and made verbal threats toward the trooper's family. She was arrested for making threats to a law enforcement officer and was taken to the Seminole County Jail. 

The investigation is ongoing.