ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - She was the beautiful daughter of one of the richest and most powerful business men in the country, but that couldn't protect her from one of the most dangerous drugs.
Victoria Siegel, 18, died last month of an accidental, lethal overdose of heroin and anti-depression medication.
David Siegel said his daughter Victoria was a bright, creative and artistic young woman who started down a dangerous path of addiction the moment she stepped out of a doctor's office.
"She had anxieties," Siegel said. "She didn't know what she wanted to do with her life, so we sent her to a psychiatrist and the psychiatrist prescribed Xanax. And, that was the beginning of the end."
Of course, that's not the case with everyone who uses an anti-depressant, but Siegel said he believes that's where her path to addiction was paved.
The coroner says Victoria died of an accidental, lethal overdose of anti-depression meds and Heroin.
David Siegel has a new mission. And what he's attempting now is more than personal.
"I'm advocating for random drug testing in all the schools, starting in middle school, high school and college," Siegel said.
Siegel starting by picking the brains of the people most educated on the topic of addiction.
He met with the surgeon general, the head of the DEA and sat in on meetings at rehab centers with addicts and their therapists.
Siegel met with the president of UCF to push a plan for testing students for drugs.
"So, they register for school, they would say I agree to be randomly drug tested," Siegel said.
Siegel said with his proposed plan, if students were to test positive for drugs, he wouldn't want them to be kicked out of college.
He said they would be directed to counseling or rehab.
He's started a charity in his daughter's name to make it happen, called VictoriaSiegelFoundation.org.
We reached out to UCF for comment, and they said in part, "Random drug testing was brought up at last week's media conference. No official steps have been taken at this point."