Man shot, killed by law enforcement in DeLand had lengthy criminal record, sheriff says

A man was shot and killed by law enforcement officers during an altercation in DeLand on Friday afternoon.

Detectives with the DeLand Police Department were working on an unrelated burglary investigation in the area of Euclid Avenue and Woodland Blvd. when they spotted a vehicle believed to be tied to an aggravated assault with a firearm that occurred on Aug. 17.

The DeLand police officers were assisted by a Volusia County sheriff's deputy in conducting a traffic stop on that vehicle, a white Dodge Charger, which had three occupants. At some point, investigators said one of the occupants pointed a gun at law enforcement officers.

"The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the circumstances of the events that occurred after the traffic stop was initiated," said DeLand Police Chief Jason D. Umberger. "However, we do know that shots were fired by one DeLand police officer and a Volusia sheriff's deputy."

A passenger in the back seat of the vehicle, identified as 20-year-old Jayvion Barthel, was injured in the shooting. Chief Umberger said officers attempted to render first aid until paramedics arrived, but Barthel died at the scene. No one else was hurt, police said, and no deputies or officers were hurt.

"The driver of the vehicle and the front seat passenger have been detained pending further investigation," he added.

A firearm was recovered in the back seat of the Dodge Charger, according to Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood, but it remains unknown whether Barthel fired any shots at law enforcement officers. Chitwood said the FDLE's investigation would determine that, but he added that Barthel had a lengthy criminal history and was known to law enforcement.

"Unfortunately, his first arrest was at 12, and he's known to all of us -- in the sheriff's office and in DeLand – which is sad," Sheriff Chitwood said. 

Image 1 of 6

DeLand police are investigating a shooting Friday afternoon.

Photos from FOX 35's Marie Edinger showed several police officers stationed outside Conrad Park along Woodland Blvd. Woodland Blvd. was closed for several hours while the FDLE conducted its investigation.