Court records reveal Keith Scott's wife filed restraining order
CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46) - Court documents filed by the wife of Keith Lamont Scott, the man shot and killed by a police officer in Charlotte last week, show a history of domestic violence and abuse.
App users click here for embedded content.
According to documents filed in April of 2004, Rakeyia Scott filed a motion for a domestic violence protective order against her husband in Mecklenburg County. The motion states that Mr. Scott had assaulted his wife several times. These instances included Mr. Scott stabbing his wife, almost puncturing her lungs and slicing her ear, according to court records.
In 2015, court records from Gaston County show Mrs. Scott filed for a restraining order against her husband. The order states that Mr. Scott had “hit their 8-year-old son” and then kicked and threatened to kill her.
In another section: "he has a 9mm and threatened to use it last night 10/2/2015. He does not have a permit, he is a felon.”
In both situations, the cases were voluntarily dismissed.
According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ), Mr. Scott served time in 2005 for aggravated assault out of Bexar County, TX. Mr. Scott pulled a 9 millimeter pistol from his pants and fired more than 10 rounds at a man. The man was struck several times but survived.
On September 20, 2016, Keith Lamont Scott, 43, was shot and killed by a police officer at a Charlotte apartment complex. Controversy surrounding the case has to do with differing stories from Scott’s family and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police. The family maintains Scott was unarmed and simply reading a book waiting for his son to get home from the school bus when the shooting occurred.
Related: Man shot, killed by police outside Charlotte apartment complex
It’s unclear from portions of body and dash-camera footage released by the police department whether Scott was in possession of a gun, however physical and DNA evidence released by police does indicate that Scott was armed.
CLICK HERE: Photo evidence released by CMPD
Investigators said a lab analysis conducted of the gun recovered at the scene revealed the presence of Scott’s DNA and his fingerprints on the gun. Investigators also found that the gun Scott possessed was loaded at the time of the encounter with the officers.
Scott was wearing an ankle holster at the time of the event, police said.
“After watching the videos, the family again has more questions than answers,” the Scott’s attorneys said in a statement preceding the public release of the videos.
The case sparked a riot and days of protest in the Queen City, in which a State of Emergency was declared. Some residents have called for the resignation of the police chief and mayor. The group #CharlotteUprising is demanding the release of the full videos to the public and the de-funding of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.
Timeline: Chaotic protest through Uptown
Related: Protesters head to Walmart after shutting down I-85
Related: Residents call for Charlotte mayor, police chief to resign
The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation is in charge of the case.