ORLANDO, Fla. (FOX 35 ORLANDO) - Many people are worried about the threat of flooding with Tropical Storm Dorian.
Employees at Barnett Park said people steadily visited all day Tuesday to pick up sandbags in preparation for Dorian. One woman who stopped by says her home has flooded before, and she doesn’t want it to happen again.
More than 5,000 sandbags have been given out across Orange County in the last week-and-a-half. The turnout picked up Tuesday, with Dorian brewing in the Atlantic, possibly heading for Florida as a Category 1 hurricane. Miranda Brown filled up ten sandbags at Barnett Park.
“With it coming this week, I thought come on out a few days early to get ahead of the crowd.”
Living in Central Florida for 35 years, she’s seen her fair share of hurricanes and tropical storms. Her home flooded several years ago.
“That’s why I’m here, to try and guard off some of the waters.”
FOX 35 followed her back to her house, where we could see that the way her yard slopes.
“Even when it doesn’t flood, I’m concerned about the amount of water. I have some now by my sliding doors,” she says.
With Dorian possibly approaching, Miranda is trying to weed out the possibility of getting flooded again.
Orange County will continue distributing ten sandbags per household for free to Orange County residents at Barnett Park, Blanchard Park, Bithlo Community Park, Meadow Woods Recreation Center/Meadow Woods Park and West Orange Recreational Complex through August 31.
Seminole County will begin its sandbag distribution Wednesday at Boombah Seminole County Sports Complex at noon.