SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. (FOX 35 WOFL) - A 12-year-old middle school student in Seminole County, Florida was arrested on Thursday for allegedly making an online threat to "shoot and place destructive devices" at three area schools, officials said.
Investigators with the Casselberry Police Department said the threat originated from a cell phone and was posted by a girl who attends South Seminole Middle School. South Seminole was one of the schools named in the threatening post, police said, along with Casselberry Elementary and Sterling Park Elementary. Upon questioning, authorities said the student admitted to posting the threat.
"Investigators confirmed that the threat was not credible, and the student did not have access to weapons or bomb-making materials," said Kim Cannaday with the Seminole County Sheriff's Office.
As part of the investigation, the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office and Casselberry Police conducted an extensive search of the schools and the surrounding properties. No suspicious devices or materials were located and the schools were deemed safe for students.
The alleged threat comes in the wake of last week's shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where 17 people were killed.
“In light of the recent tragic events, I am saddened a 12-year-old used social media to make threats against our students, which caused parents to worry for the safety of their children," said Casselberry Chief of Police Larry D. Krantz in a statement sent to FOX 35. "We take these threats very seriously and will work with the Seminole County School Board and the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office to diligently investigate any threat or concern effecting the safety of our students and community.”
The girl was arrested on a charge of threatening to discharge a destructive device and booked into the Juvenile Assessment Center.