Sponsored Advertising: New Study Reveals Simple Way to Cut Melanoma Risk in Half
Everyone knows that too much sun exposure can have a range of effects from premature aging to skin cancer. But for those who live in regions with near year-round high temperatures, the risk rises.
Here in sunny Florida, where days spent lingering at the beach, by the pool or on the golf course are frequent, melanoma (the deadliest and most common form of skin cancer) is responsible for 75 percent of all skin cancer deaths statewide. Since 1975, the skin cancer death rate among Florida residents over age 50 had doubled.
Research shows those living in St. Johns County are at highest risk, with a melanoma death rate 96 percent higher than the national average.
Yet, there is a simple way to dramatically reduce your risk of developing melanoma. Results of an Australian study show that daily application of an SPF 16 sunscreen to the head, neck, arms and hands can cut melanoma incidence by half. Researchers studied more than 1,600 study participants for over a decade, half of whom used sunscreen daily while the other half did not. At the end of the study, only 11 melanomas were reported among the participants who used sunscreen daily, compared with 22 melanomas that developed in the control group.
But while it’s critical to apply sunscreen every day, it’s also important to understand that not all sunscreens are created equal. That’s because many of the sunscreens found on store shelves are filled with chemical sun filters that can actually do more to harm than help your skin. These chemical-based sunscreens can actually trigger pigmentation, making your complexion look uneven and aged. More importantly, chemical work by absorbing or scattering UV rays. This offers far less protection against developing melanoma or other skin cancers than physical sunscreens, which reflect harmful UV rays off the skin.
That’s why Dr. Michael Steppie developed Infinity UV Defense Sunscreens, offering anti-oxidant, broad spectrum, SPF 50+ protection. Available in cream and spray forms, these formulas stand out from others by offering a pure physical sunscreen – micronized zinc oxide, which leaves a transparent finish while providing up to 50 times your skin’s natural protection from sunburn. Other key benefits include:
- Reflection of most UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) rays away from your skin’s surface;
- Antioxidants and emollients that provide optimal protection from free radical damage;
- Weightless, fast-absorbing and residue-free formulas;
- Water resistance of up to 40 minutes (Spray Version);
- Ideal for all skin types, gentle on sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- Florida’s near year-round high temperatures mean lots of time spent outside. If you live in or frequently visit the sunshine state, Infinity UV Defense Sunscreens should be an integral part of your daily skincare ritual. Safeguard your skin’s health and prevent premature aging with a visit to one of Associate’s in Dermatology’s 15 Central Florida locations or by calling 800-827-SKIN (7546) to purchase yours today.For driving directions, visit our Office Locations page and find the Associates in Dermatology office nearest you. To schedule an appointment visit Request Appointment page -------- On the web:Learn more about skin cancer: http://www.dermorlando.com/what-is-skin-cancerSee more informative tips about playing it safe in the sun: http://www.dermorlando.com/skin-cancer-defenseSee more at: http://www.dermorlando.com/blog