Sheriff: Deputy shot man who attacked with a bar stool

An Orange County deputy shot and killed a man while responding to a domestic disturbance in southeast Orlando on Tuesday afternoon. The man who was shot has been identified as Eddie Segura, 40.

During an afternoon news conference, Orange County Sheriff John Mina explained that deputies were called to a home on Fort Clinch Avenue, off Goldenrod Road, around 1 p.m.  When they arrived, they encountered the man who had been arguing with his mother and had reportedly struck her.

"Deputies responded, and at some point tried to take the subject into custody," said Sheriff Mina. "The individual picked up a bar stool and violently attacked the deputy, striking one of them, at least one time," Mina said.

The sheriff said after attempts to subdue the man, a Taser was deployed upon the subject, which was "ineffective."  

During the struggle, one of the deputies fired at a fatal shot at the man, Mina said.  The two deputies suffered minor, "defensive injuries" to their arms, he added.  The deputies were taken to Advent East hospital for treatment.

Only one deputy fired at the subject, and he has since been placed on administrative leave while the case is being investigated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.  He identity was not released.  The sheriff said the shooting was recorded by body cameras worn by the deputies and will be submitted as part of the investigation.

Sheriff Mina said that this address was known to law enforcement officers as there was a history of engagement between the man and deputies, but he would not elaborate. 

"We have been there at least six times in the past, for some type of mental issues and/or disturbances.  The address was flagged, because of the individual's propensity of violence towards our deputies," Mina said.

Court records show the Segura was arrested in July 2015, charged with resisting with violence, battery on a law enforcement officer, and child abuse.  That case was still pending, with several notes in the file referencing competency hearings.  

The docket showed Segura was scheduled to appear before the judge for another competency hearing next month to see if that case could move forward -- a day in court that will now never come.