Man in creepy mask identified by Philadelphia police after threats near City Hall
Creepy masked suspect identified: FULL PRESSER
District Attorney Larry Krasner and law enforcement partners, held a press availability to announce new developments in connection to masked person wanted for assaulting individuals in Center City earlier this month.
PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia police have identified a man they say was wanted for threatening and chasing people near City Hall last week.
Police shared a photo of 22-year-old Zymire Hughes on social media Thursday, stating that he was wanted in connection with the Aug. 12 assaults.
What we know:
Masked man linked to eerie City Hall encounters identified, warrant issued
Philadelphia police have identified the masked suspect wanted in connection with assaults near 15th Street and JFK Boulevard on Aug. 12 as 22-year-old Zymire Hughes. Police say an arrest warrant is active and that Hughes may have left Pennsylvania. Investigators say he has ties to California and Nevada.
Police say the incidents happened early in the morning near City Hall at 15th Streets and John F. Kennedy Boulevard around 5 a.m. last Wednesday.
During those encounters, the suspect approached several people while wearing a ‘Chucky-like' mask, and appeared to antagonize them. In one incident that was captured on video the suspect could be seen chasing a woman down the street, and continuing to chase her when she turned around and changed direction.
Police are searching for Zymire Hughes, 22, in connection with a series of assaults near City Hall last week.
Police said the man was seen entering a Dunkin Donuts in the 1500 block of Chestnut Street at 5:20 a.m. but was refused service because of his mask and exited after showing erratic behavior.
Police share video, images of masked man accused of threatening people in Center City
Police are looking for a man who they say wore a 'Chucky-doll' style mask and harassed people in Center City, Philadelphia. They say he asked one woman if she was 'ready to die' and chased her down the street.
Over a 15- to 16-minute period, surveillance cameras captured the man running up to people at several locations, including 15th Street and South Penn Square, 15th and Market Street, and outside Dilworth Plaza.
Surveillance cameras captured him running up to and startling at least 15 to 16 individuals at multiple locations, according to investigators.
The suspect filmed himself with his cell phone during these incidents, according to police.
Police said there is no evidence that the suspect was armed but say when he approached one woman he has his cell phone in his left hand and he is holding his right hand behind his back when he asks her if she's "ready to die."
Woman recalls face-to-face encounter with masked man in Center City
Jameka Wilson said she was standing at an intersection in Center City when she was chased by a masked man. Instead of running away, Wilson said she squared up to the masked man and kicked him in the chest before fleeing for safety.
At the time police shared the original information about their investigation, they said only one victim had come forward.
Police say there is an active arrest warrant for Hughes and he may have fled Pennsylvania. He has ties to California and Nevada.
By the numbers:
- Surveillance video suggests at least 15 to 16 people were targeted.
- Only one victim has fully come forward and is cooperating with police.
- Hughes, 22, is facing felony and misdemeanor charges including assault, harassment, reckless endangerment, terroristic threats and intimidation, officials said.
Dig deeper:
The suspect will face felony charges including terroristic threats, harassment, simple assault, reckless endangerment, and intimidation, police said Monday.
Investigators believe Hughes’ motive may have been filming content for social media. "Yes, I think he filmed this for social media content, either for his own sick personal amusement or he had plans of posting it online at some point and possibly monetizing it," said Captain Jason Smith.
Law enforcement officials stressed that the attacks were not limited to Center City and urged any additional victims or witnesses to call the Central Detective Division at 215-686-3093 or 215-686-3094.
"We want to find out whatever it is, this man or anybody else who wants to engage in this kind of criminal behavior has done—where they have done it, when they have done it, against whom they have done it, and who has seen it," said Krasner.
Timeline:
Police said the suspect filmed some of these encounters on his cell phone and entered a Dunkin Donuts on the 1500 block of Chestnut Street at 5:20 a.m. but was refused service after displaying erratic behavior.
Hughes then entered Suburban Station before boarding a route 33 bus at 5:59 a.m. to head toward an apartment complex near 23rd and Venango Street, officials said. "He did not brandish any weapon. Although in the case of the jogger, he did have his right arm behind his back, implying that he had a weapon. But at no point in time did he furnish a weapon," said Captain Jason Smith.
One jogger who tried to flee Hughes ended up with a severe leg injury requiring significant medical treatment, police said.
Authorities have identified three social media accounts associated with Hughes but have not found similar past postings.
"We have reason to know that Zamir Hughes is trying to avoid a warrant for his arrest on misdemeanor and felony charges in relation to only one of what we understand to be many victims," said District Attorney Larry Krasner.
After tracing his movements through video, police followed Hughes into the apartment complex, identified him in security footage, and confirmed he left the location two nights before the press event. "We received information that he packed his bags and he left approximately two nights ago," said Smith.
What we don't know:
Police have not shared a total number of victims. The motive in these incidents also remains unknown.
The Source: Information from the Philadelphia Police Department and the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office.