LOS ANGELES - 2019 has been a roller-coaster year, bringing everything from devastating natural disasters to a joke-turned-festival at Area 51.
Here’s a look back through the lens of Google trends at the year that caused people the world over to fear for the safety of Notre Dame de Paris, but also to obsess over the introduction of Baby Yoda.
Disney invested billions into its streaming service, Disney Plus, and the platform hit the market with a bang on Nov. 12. — the company reported 10 million subscribers in one day. The streaming service offers a mix of Marvel and Star Wars movies and shows, classic animated films and new series.
- Disney Plus hits 10 million subscribers in 1 day
- Disney Plus slaps content warning for outdated cultural depictions on classic animated movies
- ‘We want Baby Yoda emoji!’: Petition to make Baby Yoda an emoji garners over 12K signatures
Disney Channel actor Cameron Boyce was known for his roles in the Disney franchise “Descendants” as well as the Disney Channel show “Jessie,” and his unexpected death in July sent fans of the 20-year-old star reeling.
- Disney Channel star Cameron Boyce dies at 20; suffered seizure, family says
- Coroner: Disney star Cameron Boyce died of 'sudden unexpected death in epilepsy'
Nipsey Hussle, whose real name was Ermias Asghedon, was a Los Angeles native, known outside of his community for his music career as well as his entrepreneurship. He was an artist on the rise from LA’s Hyde Park area, centered around Crenshaw Boulevard. Hussle was beloved for his character as well as the way he invested in his community, and his murder in March not only rocked Crenshaw, but the nation.
- TMZ: Rapper Nipsey Hussle dead at 33 after being shot in South LA
- Nipsey Hussle murder brings Tupac-like heartbreak
- Man suspected of shooting rapper Nipsey Hussle charged with murder
- Judge denies defense's bid to dismiss counts against Nipsey Hussle's alleged killer
- South L.A. to name Crenshaw and Slauson intersection 'Nipsey Hussle Square'
- More than 50 murals of Nipsey Hussle appear in LA
The 2019 hurricane season was tumultuous — with 18 named storms, it tied 1969 for the fourth most-lively season in the past 150 years. Mega-storm Hurricane Dorian had the biggest impact after it tore across the Atlantic region, at some points boasting 185-220 mph winds, and leaving a path of destruction and devastation across the Bahamas.
- Dorian strengthens to Category 4 hurricane as storm intensifies
- Video shows devastating winds thrashing Bahamas during Hurricane Dorian
- Hurricane Dorian: Woman in Bahamas houses nearly 100 dogs to protect them from storm
- Hurricane Dorian: Tentative list of the missing in Bahamas has 2,500 names
- Cruise ship brings 1,100 Bahamas evacuees to South Florida
- Guests, crew on Celebrity Cruises ship deliver 10K meals, handmade cards to Bahamas in Dorian’s wake
- Memories of Dorian still loom as 2019 hurricane season ends
NFL star Antonio Brown was accused of sexually assaulting and raping a former trainer in a lawsuit filed in South Florida in September, which led to the surfacing of another sexual assault accusation from an artist hired by Brown. He played one game this season for the New England Patriots, who released Brown after the accusations went public.
- Patriots’ Antonio Brown accused of raping former trainer in 2018, lawsuit claims
- Antonio Brown rejected $2M settlement with woman who accused him of rape: report says
- New England Patriots release wide receiver Antonio Brown after 2nd accusation
LEFT: People show up to storm the gates of federal facility Area 51 in response to a viral Facebook event. TOP RIGHT: Flames can be seen atop the Cathedral Notre Dame de Paris. BOTTOM RIGHT: Hurricane Dorian is seen swirling over the Atlantic. (LEFT: BRIDGET BENNETT/AFP/Getty Images. TOP RIGHT:)
Notre Dame Cathedral
A catastrophic fire engulfed the iconic Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral as it was undergoing renovations in April, threatening one of the greatest architectural treasures of the Western world.
- Firefighters battle massive blaze at the French capital's iconic Notre Dame Cathedral
- Fire out, treasures intact but work ahead for Notre Dame
- Peril is nothing new for Notre Dame de Paris
- Notre Dame Cathedral fire: Cross remains, historic artwork and religious relics safe from damage
Women’s World Cup
The U.S. Women’s National Soccer team made history when they took home their fourth WWC title — the first time any women’s team has done so. The women of the U.S. team also made headlines for their ongoing battle to receive equal pay.
- USWNT fighting for equal pay while defending their World Cup title
- Defense, pair of goals lift USWNT to 4th World Cup title
- Megan Rapinoe slams scheduling of Women's World Cup final on same day as men's soccer events
- World Cup champions and their fans celebrate in New York
Area 51 raid
What began as a joke event on Facebook calling for people to storm the confidential government facility Area 51, because “they can’t stop all of us,” took on a life of its own. More than 1 million people said “yes” to the Facebook event RSVP, and a couple of alien-themed festivals sprung up in the Nevada towns nearest the facility to bring the joke to fruition.
- ‘They can't stop all of us': More than 250K pledge to storm Area 51 to uncover alien secrets
- Rural Nevada not equipped for 'Storm Area 51' turnout
- ‘It’s not a joke for us’: 1,500 people show up for ‘Storm Area 51’ event, 75 gather at gate
Actor Jussie Smollett first made headlines for claiming he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in downtown Chicago in January, but he was later accused of lying to police about the attack.
- Judge assigns special prosecutor to investigate handling of Smollett case
- Jussie Smollett files counterclaim against Chicago, alleging malicious prosecution
Comedian Kevin Hart suffered “major back injuries” as a result of a car crash that occurred when his driver veered off a road in the Malibu Hills.
- Kevin Hart suffers 'major back injuries' in Malibu Hills car crash: report
- Kevin Hart gets support from Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, other celebrities after car accident
- Kevin Hart returns to work after life-threatening car accident: reports
R&B singer R. Kelly was the subject of a Lifetime series expose, “Surviving R. Kelly,” which aired in January that alleged he held women captive and ran a “sex cult.” R. Kelly was accused of sexual assault by multiple women, but denied all allegations.