ORLANDO, Fla. (FOX 35 WOFL) - After a devastating fire, the empty shell of a family home sat on Lescot Lane, in Orlando. The fire killed a young girl who lived there. The family's pastor, Carroll Johnson, said it will be devastating not seeing her next Sunday.
“The young girl, she was a precious... the nicest... you couldn't meet a nicer little girl,” Johnson said.
When Johnson and his congregation at the Life Vision Church heard about the fire, he said the ended the morning's service.
“Our whole church just shut-down immediately as soon as we heard it and some of the members just came down to try to see what we could do,” Johnson said.
Orlando Fire said they showed up just before six this morning, and flames had already swallowed the house. They say they couldn't find any working smoke alarms in the house.
“They are the thing that will let you know you have a situation,” said OFD Dist. Chief Marvin Francis, “so they're one of the most important things when it comes to safety, especially with a fire situation.”
Along with the girl who died, another woman in the house went to ORMC with severe burns. Red Cross worker Tommy Miller said they're taking care of the family.
“We'll give them immediate assistance for food, lodging, anything else they may need later on,” Miller said “we'll have a follow up team get in touch to see if they need furniture, clothing, stuff like that.”
Firefighters are still trying to find out how the fire started. They said tomorrow they'll be going door-to-door in this neighborhood offering to install free smoke alarms in every house.