ORLANDO, Fla. (FOX 35 Orlando) - Authorities say a chemical reaction inside a University of Central Florida maintenance building caused a contractor to suffer serious burns.
Orange County Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles says a 29-year-old contractor was injured in the explosion Monday afternoon and taken to a hospital.
"The 29-year-old man sustained burns to his upper body - his face, arms, chest. Fortunately he was wearing goggles, he was wearing protection, or the injuries could have been much worse," said Mike Jachles with Orange County Fire Rescue.
No students were affected by the incident. Officials believe the contractor was transferring powdered chemicals when a static charge caused the reaction. No one else was in the employee-only building at the time.