DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (FOX 35 WOFL) - The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services announced on Tuesday that excessive speed caused the derailment of the Sand Blaster Roller Coaster in Daytona Beach last month.
They say they have issued subpoenas requiring the ride operator to provide additional records so that the department can conclude its investigation.
“Operator error caused the Sand Blaster Roller Coaster derailment, which injured multiple people. We’ve issued subpoenas to obtain more information from the ride operator, and we will hold fully accountable those responsible,” stated Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam.
Attorney Matt Morgan said on Tuesday that "our team of experts have been tirelessly working to put the pieces of this tragic puzzle together." He also said that it is "disheartening to begin to learn just how preventable this derailment was."
The attorney representing the operator of the Sand Blaster Roller Coaster says that "our investigation, as well as the state's prior investigation during their numerous times at the property before the subject incident, did not show any evidence of prior derailments."
The ride is still not in operation and will remain out of operation indefinitely.