Woman who drove kids into ocean back in court

Wednesday in court state prosecutors said Ebony Wilkerson violated her conditions of release by going off her medicine and running into on coming traffic.
After months of being in a mental health facility with the freedom to come and go as she pleased, Ebony Wilkerson was back in an orange jail jumpsuit at a status hearing.
Last year the courts determined Wilkerson is mentally which is why she drove her van with her children inside into the ocean in Daytona beach back in March 2014. Good Samaritans and life guards ran and saved Wilkerson and her children.
A judge ordered Wilkerson to a Lake Wales treatment facility and the judge today said her order made it very clear Wilkerson was supposed to be supervised taking her medicine.
Judge Leah Case said, "Did anybody from Lake Wales Care Facility ask you if they could change my order that said “Take my prescribed medication as directed and in the presence of a staff member to assure compliance?"
The answers were vague.
The facility supervisor said Wilkerson was free to take her medicine on her own. State prosecutors say they have now learned Wilkerson didn’t take most of her medicine in April and May.
The state says On May 25th Wilkerson left the treatment center and drove herself to a Lake Wales hospital. Hospital staff called police because Wilkerson claimed she was sexually battered.
Doctors and police determined Wilkerson was never sexually battered. They say she was having a psychological episode.
Lake Wales Officer Michael Jones said in court, "She went into a rant of Jesus has a path for me, Jesus sees your ugly. You’d better get right with Jesus cuz I am."
They Baker acted Wilkerson for a few hours, and took her back to her treatment center. That’s when staff said she tried to leave, but they stopped her. After a few hours, staff had to call police.
Officer Jones said, "She immediately just ran in front of oncoming traffic going westbound . A semi and a car had to both slam on breaks to avoid hitting her."
He cuffed her and carried her to a squad car. Wilkerson was again Baker acted, this time in Orange County. She was then picked up by deputies and arrested on charges of violating her release.
Wilkerson’s husband Lutful Ronjon believes this wouldn’t have happened if Wilkerson could have had contact with her children.
He said, "If they were a little more lenient and she could have had more contact with us, I’m pretty sure this might have not have happened."


Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories