There’s a trend sweeping the nation and it’s making the roads more dangerous than ever. Drivers of all ages are getting distracted while behind the wheel and risking their lives, the lives of their loved ones as well as others on the road. It’s important to stay safe while driving, and the first step is to eliminate all distractions!
What exactly is distracted driving?
Distracted driving is defined as doing any other activity while driving a motor vehicle. There are three types of distracted driving: verbal, manual and cognitive. Verbal distractions are anything that causes you to take your eyes off of the road while a manual distraction requires you taking your hands off of the steering wheel. Finally, a cognitive distraction is something takes your focus off of driving. Most common distractions involve one, two or all three of these types. Some of the most common distractions include:
- Eating or drinking
- Setting the navigation system
- Flipping through radio stations
- Fixing hair or applying makeup
- Texting or using the phone
Unfortunately, texting and driving is more prevalent today than ever. The average amount of time it takes to send a text is 5 seconds, which means if you send a text while driving at 55 miles per hour, you’ve had your eyes off of the road for the length of a football field. This is extremely dangerous and at Toyota of Orlando, we want to eliminate distracted driving.
Drive safe with tips from Toyota of Orlando!
There are numerous ways to avoid distracted driving and stay safe! We’re sharing them with you to protect you and those around you!
- Keep your phone out of sight! By putting your phone away and out of arm’s reach, you will less likely be tempted to check it! If it’s out of sight, it’s out of mind!
- Use the Bluetooth wireless technology in your Orlando Toyota! Bluetooth allows you to make safe, hands-free calls so you can still stay in touch while in the car! This wireless connectivity also gives you the option to stream your favorite music or have your navigation directions played through your car speakers. You’ll never have to take your hands off of the wheel or your eyes off of the road!
- Drive defensively! Orlando defensive driving tips remind you to be aware, to keep a safe distance between cars and to obey road rules and speed limits! Pay attention to those driving around you and anticipate what they will do next.
- Keep your Orlando Toyota clean! By having a clean and organized car, you will not be distracted by loose items rolling around. Fishing around for items rolling across the backseat can cause a visual, manual and cognitive distraction.
- Make sure you’re ready before you leave the house! Don’t put off finishing your hair or makeup for your drive, this is dangerous! Wake up a little earlier to ensure your grooming and primping is done before you get behind the wheel!
Help Toyota of Orlando eliminate distracted driving for good! Know what it is and how to avoid it! For more information, give us a call at (888) 725-3520!