Halloween is right around the corner – aren’t you excited? Whether you’re taking the kids trick-or-treating or you’re planning a night out with friends, it’s a holiday that’s meant for scares, laughs, and fun! However, Halloween can be a dangerous holiday for those little ghosts, pirates, princesses, and ninjas out and about. Walking through neighborhoods and residential areas can be hazardous at night, especially on Halloween when there are a lot of people out! To help ensure a safe and happy Halloween, Toyota of Clermont wants to refresh you on tips for safe driving at night!
Hauntingly helpful safe driving tips
Once your little superheroes and witches are dressed up with candy collector in hand, first thing is to make sure they are buckled up safely! For those still in car seats, ensure that they are strapped in and the child car seat is installed properly. Now that everyone is safe and ready to ride, make sure you keep these safe driving tips in mind:
- Drive SLOW. Residential areas have reduced speed limits, typically at 20 mph or less. Make sure you’re driving a slow and steady speed.
- Avoid distractions. As much as you want to take pictures of your cute ghouls and goblins in the car, avoid temptation while driving. Keep your phone out of sight and out of reach while you’re behind the wheel.
- Use your headlights. Make sure that you’re able to see everything in front of your car! You also want to ensure that pedestrians and other drivers are able to see you.
- Back out of driveways carefully. Utilize the backup camera in your Clermont Toyota and check your surroundings completely before reversing out of a driveway or alley. There could be children and families walking behind you.
It is crucial that you remain alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Children can be unpredictable and cannot negotiate traffic conditions as well. It is common for children to walk into the road or cross the street suddenly. To help protect children on Halloween, keep your head on a swivel! Constantly look around for anyone or anything that may be a danger.
Spooktacular safety tips from Toyota of Clermont
Maybe you aren’t taking any little ones trick-or-treating just yet, but you do have fun plans for All Hallows Eve. If you plan on having a spooky good time out on the town, don’t forget some Halloween safe driving tips like:
- Avoid residential areas. If you don’t have to be in neighborhoods, try to avoid the area so you can help keep kids and families safer. Reducing traffic on the roads helps ensure less collisions or accidents.
- NEVER drink and drive. Pick a designated driver to avoid drunk driving. If you’ve been drinking, have a friend or a cab come pick you up to get you home safely.
- Don’t wear masks while driving. Even if you’re determined to win the costume contest, make sure you don’t wear your award-winning mask while you’re behind the wheel. This can inhibit your visibility and increase your chance of an accident.
For more tips on how to have a spooky and safe Halloween, give Toyota of Clermont a call at (888) 590-6090!