The fight over 410 feet of beach isn’t over in Daytona Beach.
The Sons of the Beach, a group advocating for beach driving in Volusia County, has filed a lawsuit against the county over the barricaded area behind the Hard Rock Hotel.
Twelve large, wooden poles were placed in that space by the county earlier this year to block off that section of beach from vehicle traffic; part of an agreement to develop the hotel. However, under the ordinances that established that no traffic zone, group president Paul Zimmerman believes the poles never should have gone up.
In the court filing, his group presents the 2015 ordinance and amended 2017 ordinance on the matter which list a number of amenities the hotel would bring to the beach-front by February 28 of this year.
"If they don't complete those criteria in its entirety, it’s very specific, the ordinance revokes itself in its entirety,” said Zimmerman.
Zimmerman’s group argues those criteria weren’t completely met by that opening date; citing several areas of the hotel that still needed work on opening day. He believes the county violated their own ordinance by still allowing the no traffic zone to go into place.
A representative for Volusia County declined to comment on Monday as the situation is in litigation.
Zimmerman said his group had not received a court date yet for the proceedings to move forward.