ORLANDO, Fla. (FOX 35 WOFL) - The University of Central Florida (UCF) announced on Thursday that the upcoming fall semester, beginning on August 20th, will be their most accomplished incoming freshman class to date.
Preliminary data reportedly shows that the incoming freshman class has an:
- Average GPA of 4.11, a UCF record.
- Average SAT score of 1328, a UCF record.
- 82 new National Merit Scholars, bringing the total enrolled at UCF to 316, the largest number of scholars in the university’s history.
UCF expects to welcome a total of 67,500 students this school year. They say it should be noted that:
- The number of minority students is approaching 50 percent.
- The number of graduate students, including the College of Medicine, is anticipated to be about 9,750, about 6% higher than last year.
- The number of students taking fully online programs increased 50%, with more than 4,300 enrolled in UCF Online for the fall semester.
“In our short history, UCF proves that bigger is better by providing more opportunities for students to achieve their dream of a high-quality college degree – which impacts their lives and their family for generations,” said President Dale Whittaker. “As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of classes this fall, I could not be prouder of our talented, diverse student body and every one of our faculty and staff members who support their success.”
This fall also marks the 50th anniversary of the first day of classes for the university. Originally named Florida Technological University, the campus opened in 1968 with seven buildings, an enrollment of 1,948 students, and 55 bachelor’s degree programs. Today, UCF offers more than 215 degree programs, including several new programs added this year.
Classes for the fall semester begin on Monday, August 20th.