ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Some children are recovering after getting sick while swimming in an apartment complex swimming pool, officials say.
At Waterford East Apartments, Damian Deleon swims in one pool, because the other was shut down after firefighters say, several children got sick. A parent called 911 for help. "I did see whole bunch of fire trucks over there and ambulances," he said.
In the phone call, a parent tells the dispatcher, "There was a strong smell of chlorine, and all of a sudden, all of the children run out and throwing up, threw up blood, they're coughing, tummy aches, chest aches, their heart is pumping fast. They're crying."
You can hear the children coughing in the background. They ranged from 4 to 11 years in age. Rescuers said the kids got sick, because the chlorine level was double of what they should have been. "We've got help on the way. They're gonna be there in a few minutes ok?" the operator told the parent.
"They put a bunch of yellow tape over there," Deleon explained, "so I guess we're banned from over there for now."
A manager at the apartment complex asked us to leave. We're still waiting for a statement. Meanwhile residents like Deleon said they will be watching over the kids even more so, while at the pool. "I have to be extra careful now, whenever I come over here."
Firefighters say one child was taken to Florida Hospital East, however, we're not sure of the condition.