Firefighters express concerns about stations

- Seminole County firefighters say the mold problem is so bad at Station 42 in Geneva, they are forced to sit in bays with fans in the heat, outside the station, so they can hear calls for service. 

The reason is, because their building is full of mold and being cleaned.  The mold was discovered during a kitchen remodel.  The county offered up trailers with air conditioning for the firefighters.

Seminole County Fire Union Vice President Mario Mihaucich says raw sewage, even worms, have been pouring out of pipes.  

"You first notice it when you are taking a shower, and it starts bubbling out of the drain," he says.

Mihaucich says this happened three times in the last month at Fire Station 16 in Longwood and has been a problem for three years.  He says they have reported the mold and sewage issues to the county dozens of times. He says the county is taking care of the mold in Geneva, but says they're just putting band aids on the sewage problems. He wants experts to come out and figure out what's causing the problem and fix it. 

"We really wanna see something get done and the problems get fixed. We know these buildings are old. The county knows the buildings are old. There just doesn't seem to be a plan in place to get this fixed."

FOX 35 reached out to the county spokeswoman on Wednesday, but at the time this article was published, we had not yet heard back.

The mold at the Geneva fire station is expected to be cleaned up by Monday, and the fire fighters can go back into the building.
 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories