SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Purses are still allowed, but starting Friday backpacks will not be allowed at Seminole County High School football games. It’s the first in a series of new security measures the district is rolling out this year.
It’s incidents like the shooting at last week’s football game at Pam Beach Central High School that have administrators from Seminole County Public Schools thinking about safety. It’s announced a new policy across all Seminole County high schools, banning backpacks at any stadium events, starting with football.
“I understand it. I absolutely understand it because you know there’s been problems with weapons in schools,” said parent Evey Wheeler.
The district sent out a letter Thursday morning, explaining the new rule would go into effect Friday.
“In today’s time it’s a great precaution to keep anybody from bringing anything in that they shouldn’t have,” said parent Larry Cash.
Some Seminole County high schools already had a no backpack rule at football games, but administrators wanted to make it uniform across the district. Parents we spoke with say it’s a smart safety decision.
“They don’t need to bring a backpack. It’s a football game. It’ll be over soon. Go enjoy the game and have fun,” said Cash.
But some wonder how much of a difference it’ll really make.
“How are you going to safeguard against every incidence of everything that could possibly potentially happen. You can’t,” said Wheeler.
District officials are reviewing other safeguards that they plan to roll out throughout the rest of the school year.