AVALON PARK, Fla. (AP) - Thirteen people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after a Walmart in Avalon Park was evacuated.
Orange County Fire Rescue officials say the gas had reached unsafe levels of 400 parts per million by 4 a.m. Sunday. Levels above 35 ppm are considered excessive. Even fire officials had to wait several minutes to enter the building because the CO levels were too high.
Fire Rescue spokeswoman Kathleen Kennedy say 13 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Seven were taken to local hospitals and others refused treatment.
The cause is still under investigation, but constructions crews were working inside the store overnight with propane tools.
The Orlando Sentinel reports a hazmat team and mass casualty incident team responded. The building was deemed safe around 7:30 a.m.
Information from: Orlando Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com/
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.