Lightning sparks Volusia Co. house fire

- An Oak Hill family is homeless after a lightning bolt struck their house and started a devastating fire.

Homeowner Greg Wilks said he was watching TV in his living room when the lightning struck.

“Like someone took an atomic bomb, blew it right up in front of you," he said. "It was so loud the neighbors heard it all around. Then looked up in the back and you see smoke. Then, your adrenaline just starts kicking in.”

Wilks said he could only think to grab his shoes and some medicines before running out of the house.

He grabbed a garden hose to fight the flames while calling 911.

“Went to grab my garden hose, you see what little success I had with that,” Wilks said, “but nobody was in the house and nobody got hurt.”

The flames burned fast, devouring the house Greg and his wife, Kay, built in 1999 and lived in since then.

Their friends and family got their quickly - all watching firefighters douse the flames.

“You could basically tell when everything started catching on fire, the couches, the beds - everything - you could tell because there'd be black smoke instead of white smoke and you could just tell when stuff was burning,” Kay Wilks said.

Volusia County Fire Rescue officials say it took an hour and a half for them to put out the fire.

Greg Wilks says it makes you respect nature's power.

“Craving a hot dog,” Wilks said. “What more can I say? I've just got to keep my composure.”

Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire and they have insurance to cover it all.

The Wilks say they'll be spending the next few days with family.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories